After many months of lockdown and restrictions, it is not surprising that people are eager to return to a sense of normality. For those of you that were regularly exercising before COVID, you probably felt the impact, as many of us did, in not being able to follow your usual exercise routine.
The early pandemic seemed to bring a rise of interest in exercise, which was quite exciting. There are definitely many health benefits to regular exercise and Pilates is no exception. Regular exercise will:
- Improve your health
- Boost your immune system
- Increase your sense of wellbeing
- Reduce body fat (with a sensible diet)
- Increase lean body mass
- Strengthen muscles
- Improve cardiovascular endurance
- Reduce the risks of cardiovascular disease and type II diabetes
- Decrease feelings of anxiety and depression
When you start thinking about these benefits, especially in conjunction with a diet full of vitamins and nutrients, you can see why increasing your overall health could have an impact on fighting off illnesses like COVID.
Months of lockdown for some people led to overeating unhealthier foods, over-drinking, lack of exercise, isolation from friends and family and working from home meant a more sedentary lifestyle. These lifestyle factors will have a negative influence on health, in fact, polar opposites to the above list.
Although life has not yet returned no normal, we are now allowed to enjoy group based exercise once again. This brings with it a fantastic opportunity to get into regular exercise and improve your social network. Benefits of exercising in a group includes:
- Motivating each other – groups create an energy and people inspire each other to give maximum effort.
- Socialising – make new friends with likeminded people.
- Varied routine – a change in environment once or twice a week is healthy, especially if you are working from home.
- Live instruction – A qualified instructor giving you real-time instruction and correction to make sure you get the most out of your session.
It my feel a bit scary to get back out there and people should do this in there own time. We have made our classes COVID secure to help you feel more confident about joining a Pilates class, find out how here.
If you are thinking about joining and have any worries or questions, please contact us, we are happy to talk things through with you.